Sunday, July 11, 2010

21 and Still Young

So, as of about five minutes ago, it became July 12, 2010...the date of my 21st birthday!
It is really crazy to think that I have lived for 21 years, and that today marks the first day of my 22nd year of life. Time is a crazy thing.

I can hardly wait to see what the day brings.

Anyway, today (or yesterday rather--since it is just the beginning of July 12) was a very busy day. I slept in, made toast and tea, and left with everyone for Petticoat Lane Market. Two of the guys went off to find a stadium while the rest of us hopped on a train. We found the train station alright, but Petticoat Lane was a bit more of a challenge; nevertheless, on our way there we went through about 3 other markets that were awesome! They were perhaps even better than Petticoat Lane Market. We walked and walked and walked, finally meeting up with the other guys and heading to central London.

We all walked along the river Thames, seeing Big Ben and the London Eye. We watched some street performers (acrobats and magicians and such) and meandered along the embankment. We split up again as half of us wanted to go to specific sight-seeing spots, and the other half (that is, my half) planned to wander around and end up at All Soul's Church. So, Brian, Mac, and Sarah Jane took off.

Mom, Laura, Jackson, and I took a closer look at Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, and Cafe Nero (a little coffee shop where we rested our feet). I tried to teach Mom how to read bus stops and train stations and underground lines, but I hardly expect her to understand in a day what I am still trying to learn after a month!

Regardless, today was a good, full, British day. The weather was fantastic--sunshine and breezes...and yes, I did get sunburned on just one shoulder (don't ask me how). Mom informed me that for my birthday she is taking me to go see "Wicked" tomorrow night! For those of you who are not familiar with live theatre, "Wicked" is a play about the Wicked Witch of the West from the Wizard of Oz, but with a twist. I don't know the whole story, because I have not seen it yet, but I know the soundtrack by heart. I AM SO EXCITED!! As if it was not enough to have Mom and Laura with me...we are going to see Wicked. Sigh...life could not get much sweeter.


No comments:

Post a Comment