Sunday, July 4, 2010

Independence Day

The British don't celebrate America's Independence Day--go figure.

Today was a good one, nonetheless! I went with Pauline (my neighbor and co-worker) to Christ's Church just down the road. It is an Anglican church, so it had a pre-set stand, sit, sing, recite, etc. order. They had Communion with real wine, and their songs were in hymnals with just words. Pauline told me that some Anglican churches are much more traditional than this one, but even so, I can still see how the liturgy is similar to that of a Catholic church. Overall? I enjoyed the fellowship and message. Everyone was very kind and friendly.

I parted ways with Pauline and ate at a little diner. Then I walked around my neighborhood, exploring the different shops and restaurants (which I have not done before!). Before long I was trying on clothes and shoes, giving myself license to spend a little since it is July 4th, and so close to my birthday. Well, I walked away with two cute tops, a belt, and a pair of shoes. I'm very excited to wear them out and about.

Next was Sainsbury's, the local grocery store. I did my weekly/biweekly grocery shopping, and walked away with four orange plastic bags and plenty of food. Do I really eat this much every two weeks?!

I tidied up when I got to the flat (another thing that seems incessant!) and decided to take a nap. The nap turned into a deep sleep, and I didn't wake up until 6:00--about four hours after I laid down. Ridiculous.

It's a beautiful day outside with the shining sun and gentle breeze. I really am blessed to be here in London, to be surrounded by such great people, and to have my family visit me so soon. I greatly anticipate spending time with Mom and Laura. Right now I'm a little homesick for friends and family. ...And fireworks.

No comments:

Post a Comment