Monday, July 5, 2010

Turkish Delight and Chocolate

Encouragement comes in many forms, and today, it came in two.

A woman came to the counter today with her teenage daughter. The girl had a big black case strapped to her back, which we later found out was a bassoon.

The woman told us about how she had strayed far from her Christian upbringing in England--a journey that led her into marriage with a Turkish Muslim. God finally pulled her back to Christ but, "It took a lot," she said, "...it took a lot." But God did a work in her life, and now He is working in her children.

The only Christian influence her children have known is attending church once a month, and the conversations she has been able to have with them in her house. But even with so little, the girl with the bassoon used to sneak out to attend Bible studies while in Turkey. The woman's young son now wants to be a pastor or worship leader. God is blessing the little faithfulness this woman can provide. Her husband is still uncomfortable with Christianity, but he is "open minded."

The woman told us of the struggle to be married to an unbeliever in such turbulent times. When financial situations seem too harsh, the woman told us of her desire to pray with her husband, but their different faiths make this impossible. While her husband has nothing to cling to for assurance, this woman holds desperately to God.

It was so amazing to hear such encouragement from such a life of struggle. God is blessing the family of this once "backslidden" woman, and her faith has increased more and more. Her story offered hope to my co-worker, whose daughter has turned from God. This woman's story offers hope to those married to unbelievers. This woman's story offered hope to me, because I saw God's handiwork.

On a slightly smaller note...God encouraged me again today by providing me with chocolate. I have used up this week's allowance for myself, so I am being very frugal with my money now. However, I was desperately desiring a pick-me-up chocolate halfway through the day. As I was about to pull out a pound to pay for a chocolate bar, I was informed there were cookies in the Mezzanine (i.e. the kitchen). I'm not a huge fan of cookies, but when I got there, one of them was double chocolate with soft caramel/chocolate chunks in it. It made my day!

With my soul and my stomach encouraged, I went back to work and finished the day with much enthusiasm and many smiles. Don't give up, was the message I heard today. No matter what struggle you are going through, no matter how unreachable your friends/family are, keep praying. God is able to do more than you can even imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment