Thursday, July 22, 2010

Countdown Begins or "If You Give a Man a Muffin"

Whether I like it or not, the countdown to home has begun. I flight out of London in six days, and will be home in eight. Unbelievable.

I am excited to hear from the other interns about their experiences, but I doubt any of them had as great an experience as I.

I have learned quite a few things while being here with CLC. At the forefront of my mind is the fact that working the bookshop is not mainly about selling books--well, it is, but it isn't. In my experience, it is mostly about relationships.

Oh oh! Before I forget--my roommate sent me muffin mix in my birthday package, so I decided to make them today. Whereas they were supposed to make six muffins, I stretched and made nine. Stacking them in a tin and wrapping them in paper towels, I carefully carried them (cleverly disguised in a CLC bag ) to the bus stop. As I was walking, I passed by a past-middle-age man whose shift was just ending at Sainsbury--the local grocery store.
"Thank you so much for bringing me supper," he joked as he passed.
I laughed and finished my journey at the bus stop before I paused and wondered. There was no way he could have known I carried breakfast...and sure it was a joke...but there were extra. I looked over. The man was sitting on a bench not ten yards from me. Oh, he probably wouldn't accept one even if I did offer it to him, I told myself. But that argument fell through quickly as I realized this occasion called for love.
I gave the man a muffin and walked back to the bus stop. After a few minutes he yelled over to me, "That was sooo good! I don't like 'em with too much sugar, but this was perfect--not too sweet, but just right! Thank you so much. I work the late night shift at Sainsbury, and this was just right for breakfast. It was even still warm!"
I walked over to the man and introduced myself. Carl was his name. He assured me I would be blessed because of this, and I told him I hoped we would run into each other again.
On the bus I thought about the classes I had taken on "mission." Good deeds must be explained by words, my teacher's voice sounded. Another voice bounced in my head--the Casting Crowns song I had listened to that morning: Love Them Like Jesus.
I hope Carl didn't give all the credit of the muffin to me, because it really was God's love and generosity that prompted my small gift. I hope I get another chance to talk with him, and this time to tell him about the great Love and generosity. Baby steps here, baby steps.

Anyway, as far as relationships go, I learned that you have to be willing to push past initial impressions. It may take two months, but eventually you will become more comfortable around the people you work with/see every day. Your lives become more enmeshed, and the bookshop is not just a place with 100 things to do. The bookshop is where I share stories with Carol, and pictures with John. The bookshop is where Pauline passes on wisdom and spiritual lessons to me, and where Mat encourages so many with his comfortable manner. The bookshop is where I find Paul has already made coffee for everyone, and someone has bought goodies for all to share. I cannot name everyone, but just know that everyone there is important to me now. I see their love for God, and their love for each other and the customers, and I know I belong. What a great lesson to be learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment