Saturday, July 24, 2010

Rest and Relaxation

It is Saturday, my day off this week, and the day has been wonderful.

I went with Bunty, Ken, and their grandson Cameron to a grand old house. They paid my admission, and we wandered around the land, enraptured by its beauty. See, the house was owned by a young widow who, instead of re-marrying, continued to move in high society and even entertain royalty.

Bunty and Ken had prepared a picnic for all of us, and we sat down in a finely manicured yard that was so big it is more accurately described as a field. But the field was not bare; there were trees in patches, and a hedge that divided the "field" from pasture land, cattle, and many, many trees. It was gorgeous.

The sun was out and the wind was blowing, making the temperature perfect. Toddlers and little children ran down the sloped field, playing tag and barely noticing the breathtaking view. Adults reclined in the grass, some on picnic blankets, others simply on the grass.

After eating we explored the mansion. Imagine living in such a place...the doors were outlined in gold, portrait upon portrait hung on the walls, and the rooms were magnificent. Every hallway was wide enough for four people to walk comfortably, or for two, if they were women wearing crinoline under their dresses.

We left the mansion for another short picnic, this time scones, cream and jam instead of sandwiches. It was delicious. Cam wanted ice cream, so Bunty and Ken bought some, and coffee for me. What generosity. What kindness. What a perfect day!

They dropped me off at my home and invited me to join them at church tomorrow night, which I plan to do. At home I cleaned my kitchenette, prepared and ate supper while watching "Faith Like Potatoes," and then started tidying my room. I'm laying on my bed listening to the neighbors who are having yet another birthday party with booming music. I don't mind so much--this time my ears don't feel like they are about to fall of my head. (When I had an earache and came home early for a rest, I found the next door neighbors partying with amazingly loud music. It was not funny then, but right now the memory brings a smile to my face.)

I have made such amazing friends here. I am trying to think of gifts to leave with them, and I'm hoping my creativity will kick in soon. Until then, I decided to write on here and tidy up a bit.

Just imagine...I'm going home soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment