Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Celebrate!

Two days ago marked the annual celebration of my birth. Apparently 21 is a big year here in the U.K., as well as in the States, but I was a bit puzzled when people wrote "Congrats!" inside my birthday cards. What were they congratulating me on? Living for soooo long? I don't think so.

So I thought about what needed to be celebrated, and I came to two conclusions: 1. God's faithfulness, and 2. my Mom.

I could write post upon post about how God has been faithful to me, but I want to make this post about how my Mom has impacted who I am--my 21 year old self.

If you know my Mom, you know that she has a steady Southern drawl and a contagious laugh. You know she works hard and speaks her mind. She is terribly funny and though she does not particularly enjoy reading, she spends a lot of time in God's Word. More than once I have been mightily encouraged to pass by her door and see her leaning over the Bible.

21 years ago my Mom spent about 24 hours in labor, bringing me into the world. 15 years ago she spent an hour or so leading me into my relationship with Christ. Mom taught me my ABCs and times tables. She took me to Brownies and piano lessons (which I carried on horribly about!). She joined me on field trips and tutored me during the summer. My Mom held me when I cried through middle school, and she loved me when I was unloving. Though it was not always easy for me to see, everything Mom does, she does because she loves me so deeply. Her advice, her suggestions, her actions, they all reflect what she believes is best for me.

I can't fully understand or appreciate all Mom has done for me. I don't have a daughter of my own, so I do not know the roller coaster ride of motherhood. I'm sure it is not an easy ride though. So, to the best of my ability, I am honoring what Mom has done for me. I could never list everything she has done, or all the ways she has contributed to who I am, but I would not be who I am today if she had not always been there.

Mom taught me to be polite, to smile and speak up. Mom taught me to stand up straight and live with confidence. Mom taught me to trust God, no matter what whirlwinds tear through my life. Mom taught me that striving for excellence is a good quality, and that I can often achieve far more than I expect. Mom taught me that with diligence and hard work, I can do most anything.

I think of all the meals, all the cleaning, all the behind-the-scenes things my Mom has done (and continues to do) for me. So really, any celebration of my life, is a celebration of her, for she has poured most deeply into who I am today. I am honored to have Mom as my mother and also as my friend. As our relationship grows, I see a lot of her in me, and I want to say thank you. Thank you Mom, for all you have done. I am so glad I am your daughter and not just anyone else's. You are a blessing from God in my life, and I am so glad you are with me now in London. I love you. Happy Giving-Birth Day (2 days late).

No comments:

Post a Comment