Sunday, July 25, 2010

Great Adventure

What an absolutely splendid day.

I slept in and then rose to a morning in full bloom. The sun welcomed my sleepy head, and John Piper brought God's Word before my soul. He spoke on a passage in Romans, and he emphasized the need to see both God's severity and mercy. What a great God we serve.

There was much to do, so I tidied up a bit, ate breakfast (a proper British breakfast of coffee, toast, and baked beans), and prepared myself for the day. I was to meet Bunty and Ken for afternoon tea at 4, so I knew I had to get everything done before then. Well, perhaps everything is too strong of a word. I needed to put away dry clothes, clean the kitchenette, prepare a gift and card for Bunty and Ken, prepare something for the shop tomorrow (my last day), etc. Despite the large amount to do, I became overwhelmed with weariness, so I lay down on my bed and slept.

After a good nap I popped to work. So much to do! The time to leave for Bunty's came, and I went. I gave her the card and gift, and she had prepared a scarf for me! She had a bag full of scarves she had knitted, just for gifts, and she let me choose one. I selected a deep green one, which you will hopefully see me wear sometime.

We then had parfaits made of home made custard and home grown berries with tea/coffee. Ken, Bunty, and I sat in the garden, enjoying the beautiful flowers and sunshine. Suddenly it was time to leave for church.

We picked up a Kenyan woman who also goes to All Soul's Church, and then proceeded to the service. It was a great service: music, teaching, more worship, giving, communion, more worship... Afterwords Bunty and Ken went to count the offering, so I joined the throng downstairs for coffee, tea, or juice. I drank coffee and mingled, introducing myself and meeting quite a few people. I actually became sucked into a conversation with a man from Northern England, and a rather Cockney chap from South London. The South Londoner had very little idea of personal space, which was unfortunate since he was chewing on a cookie and drinking coffee. At least his breath didn't smell bad.

We were talking when another fellow--a bit younger than the first two (this one was probably early thirties)--came up and introduced himself. He was from America, but had been working at All Soul's for seven months. He then invited the three of us out for a drink and chat at a nearby bar. The two men somehow made themselves scarce and I was left, looking up at this poor Californian. It was quite humorous really. I declined his invitation and went to go find Bunty and Ken. While waiting for them the Cockney man and a few of his friends showed up and began talking to me. One was a civil servant working for the something-or-other of defense. Another was a missionary recently returned from China. Bunty and Ken actually found me surrounded by these middle aged and elderly men, whisking me away as a young African man tried to engage me in conversation. Boy what a night!

In the car Bunty told us of her adventures trekking through Egypt and Israel. She told us of her time by the Dead Sea. Ken had done something similar, but cycling, not walking. "There are so many interesting places around the world," said Bunty. And I'm sure, she is quite right.

I became so very excited after hearing these wonderful stories. I am 21 with one year of school left--the world is before me, and I have an amazing hunger to explore it. I want to live life abundantly, to really grab ahold of the eternal life God offers now--which is to know Him. Oh goodness...to know God deeply and testify of Him to the world...now that is a great adventure!

1 comment:

  1. 1. Hilarious!
    2. A proper English breakfast would include tea, not coffee ; )
    3. I am SO ready to go exploring!
    4. I look forward to seeing you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete