Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day

I feel that I cannot let this day go by without making a public declaration.

My Dad is the best dad in the world.

Allow me to explain why:
If you know my Dad, you know that he is cool headed and kind. He is always looking for solutions to broken relationships (which is what makes him such a great Human Resources Manager), and he is the best mediator I know.
Dad works harder and longer than I can (...though that might not be saying much!), and I have never heard him complain about his work.
My Dad loves my Mom, which is evident every time he cleans the kitchen, or the garage, or takes out the trash, or goes through the mail. Even after a long day at work, he shows his love through his actions, which is what Mom really needs.
My Dad has always been there for me and my siblings. Some of my favorite memories from my childhood include when he would come home in the evenings and Laura and I would yell, "Dad!!" and run to him for a big hug. He would always bring us presents back after a business trip, and I knew that if I had nightmares, he would hold me and read the Psalms.
My Dad is very funny, which I have come to appreciate more and more as I grew old enough to understand his subtle humor. Though, I could never forget the childhood teasings of, "You want Blinky Barns to knock it out?"
When I think of Dad I think of his smile and laugh. His whole face widens into a smile, and if the joke is good enough, his eyes will water from the laughter.
Dad is so understanding and such a good listener. If I ever need him, I know he is there for me.

You know, not many people have such a great dad as I do. He loves God, and I believe that has made all the difference in who he is and how he treats Mom and us kids.

So, Dad, if you are reading, I hope you have been honored by my reflection of you. You are living and loving well, and you are bringing God great glory through your life. I thank Him for you often. I love you. I miss you. Happy Father's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment