Sunday, June 13, 2010

Sarah's Sunday

So today was the busy Sunday I was a little apprehensive about, but definitely looking forward to. For starters, Sarah Collier came over and spent the night--we cooked, ate, and talked together, and planned for our big day today. The plan? Wake up, go to Hillsong's church in London at 10:30, go to the Global day of Prayer at 1:30, and attend David Phelp's concert at 8. Ambitious you say? Yeah...it was.
So the day began with a slight miscalculation. I thought (for some odd reason) that we did not need to head to Hillsong's church, which is 1 hour away, until 9:50. Needless to say, we realized we could never make it there on time, so Sarah and I decided to make the "Global day of Prayer" stop, our first. We stopped and had lunch, walked around a bit, and then moved on.
The Global Day of Prayer was more like a meeting for next year's Global day of Prayer. Though there were hundreds, and maybe even a thousand people in the stadium, it was still over half empty. Sarah and I joined a group of church volunteers and heard members of Parliament speak, and then we joined a group of students who were going up on stage to pray. Neither of us prayed into the mic, but we were both on TV, praying for London, the U.K., and our generation. It was a different type experience, as some of the "youth" and adults began speaking in tounges (something I haven't been exposed to much)...can't say I was comfortable, but just the same, I prayed for God to bring out leaders in my generation to reach London and the U.K. for Christ.
Sarah and I also found ourselves in a mostly Islamic part of town...which was different, to say the least. Here we were, two American girls in sundresses and sandals--the only exposed shins for blocks. All around us were bright clothes, head scarfs, and burkas. No exposed skin except for eyes and hands. Sarah and I felt culturally insensitive, but we didn't know we would be there! Maybe that is not a good excuse...but that's what happened.
Our third outing, to the David Phelps concert, was fantastic. I had such a great time listening to him sing...he seems to put his heart and soul into praising God with his voice. Honestly, his voice is like an instrument created by God which David has learned to skillfully play. He even sang a few of the songs he wrote himself. It was quite a treat. I was also excited because Sarah was not familiar with his music, so I was able to introduce her to his beautiful worship. It really was a time of praising God and reflecting on His greatness.
The trip home was a bit sticky, seeing as how it was dark. It was a bit intimidating, even with two of us, especially when the bus we got on did not stop where we needed to get off. After two undergrounds and two buses, we finally made it back to my flat at 11:45. I think I will try to get in before dark from now on...
But it was a good day overall, and I thank God for my safety and His character. What a great Sunday!

1 comment:

  1. OHMYWORD!!! I seriously think we must have been so near each other!!! Where was the Global Day of Prayer held?

    ReplyDelete