Saturday, June 5, 2010

Holiday in London

Today was a fabulous day! It is a Saturday, and my first day off from the shop. Paul and Sue (a couple from CLC) were kind enough to take me sight-seeing through a small part of London, and it was fantastic.

We began our journey on a double-decked bus, sitting, for my first time, on the top. It took a while to get to...well, I don't really know where we were, but we got off at a bridge over the Thames (pronounced "Tim's") River where you could see the London Eye on your left, and many buildings on the right. Like the typical tourist, I whipped out my camera.

The day was mostly walking, window shopping, and picture-taking, so I will hit the highlights.

1. Covent Gardens -- This is a sheltered market where vendors sell their wares. Products ranged from colorful scarves and knitted sweaters, to "dumpling" dolls and board games. While shopping is not one of my favorite things to do, this is London! I had to buy something (haha).

2. China Town -- Apparently there is a little bit of China everywhere. In Philadelphia...Chinatown. In London...Chinatown! They are everywhere! Paul, Sue, and I stopped at a Chinese buffet (you never know what you will get if you go into a menu restaurant) and ate lunch. It was delicious, of course, and my first meal "out" in London.

3. Buckingham Palace -- Yes, we did go to Buckingham Palace. Unfortunately, the Queen was not in today, though her husband had a parade earlier this morning. We missed the changing of the guard too, which happened earlier on in the day. Instead we stared at the two guards stationed outside the doors. It was hot today, and it's a wonder they don't faint. Amidst other tourists, scout troops, and disinterested Brits, I took pictures and a bit of video.
Oh! We also got ice cream here. It was a bit lighter than the American kind, but thats because it was not scoop ice cream Sue informed me.

4. Covent Gardens -- I know, I listed this place twice, but that is because I made Sue and Paul take me back! I had not bought anything in the morning, but I couldn't stop thinking about a particular item, so I wanted to go back and get it. While we were there we stopped by a small square where there are tables to eat, and a small sound system. Music drifted through the air, and a performer sang. His voice was beautiful! He mimicked some of the shoppers and even traded shoes with one woman, all the while serenading the crowd. The street entertainers are quite captivating, and I found myself wondering what kind of life such people lead.

It may not sound like we did a lot, but we certainly did! My freckles are all well defined now, because the sun was shining quite intensely. It was nice to get off my feet as I rode back in the bus towards my flat. And now it is time to clean a bit! A few of the intern girls are headed over tonight for a slumber party. We will share our adventures and catch up on whats going on in each others' lives. I'm so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment