Saturday, June 12, 2010

Late Night

Well, tonight is indeed a late night. It is 1 a.m. and Sarah Collier and I are still up. We have had a fantastic time together, which mostly consisted of dragging her suitcase up a huge hill, going to Sainsbury's for groceries, preparing our three course supper, and hanging out with Petra and Liz (my store manager and her house-mate). The tree course meal, by the way, was so beautiful I had to take a picture of it. Imagine an appetizer of pretzels and crackers with humus, garlic dip, and cheese, then a caesar salad, and then mac-n-cheese for the main course. Ice cream and chocolate chip cookies for dessert. YUM!

You know, I don't really have anything to report about the bookshop. Business has been slow this week, probably because of the rain. However, today was the busiest Saturday I have been here for (and that is probably because of the World Cup football game)! It was a joy to help people out, order new books, and check stock. One of my favorite parts though, is the fact that we can take books with us on our breaks. I normally bring one down with me, but I usually end up putting it aside. As much as I love reading, nothing quite compares to live interaction. And my co-workers are well worth "interacting" with.

That has really been one of the great blessings here, my co-workers. Throughout the day we laugh and joke and encourage each other. Working at CLC is really about the people (customers and workers) and not the profit. As I was working today I realized, this really is a ministry. We are providing affordable, Christian resources to people who may not have access to such literature otherwise. How great is that?

But yes, tomorrow (or later today really) is jam packed with activities. I will definitely write a post on it after the day is over--provided I don't fall asleep too quickly!

I got lost again today. Well, not really lost...I just didn't know how to get from where I was to where I needed to be...but it all worked out :) I must have no internal compass.

No comments:

Post a Comment