Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Halfway

Yesterday, the 28th, was my half-way point for my internship. All I can really say is, "Wow."

I think I am a different person than I was when I left the United States. I came to the United Kingdom with a downtrodden spirit and begrudging soul. It had been a year of adjustment and sorrow, and this internship (though exciting) was simply something to do. A place to escape.

I saw God as my far-off Savior, even though I knew He was near. I knew He was faithful, but I did not feel His presence.

So today I look back at what I have gone through and how I have changed, and I PRAISE GOD! He has given me a new desire to be close to Him and to serve Him. He walked with me through the mud of loneliness and the sludge of guilt. When I fell sick, He picked me up and told me I could trust Him. I am at a loss for words to describe all He has done...

God sent me to London because He knew what was best for me. When I first heard that I was assigned to London I thought, Oh no...a loud noisy city...and I know it rains a lot...sigh...it is going to be difficult to keep my spirits up. Little did I know that a better suited internship could not have been made for me.

Living by myself has fostered responsibility: Rebekah is not here to do the dishes or take out the trash (thanks Roomie for all your room cleaning last year :), Dad is not here to go to the grocery store (thanks Dad, our household really appreciates your grocery runs) or handle money, Mom is not her to cook (thank you Mom for your three-time-a-day cafe!) or clean, and I must make a conscious effort to be sociable.

God has blessed me with a family here--the CLC family--when times are hard. Pauline has cooked supper for me. Megan helped me through a very painful night. Petra brought me beautiful flowers, my favorite berries, and "how are you?" visits. Carol brought me an electric fan and provided some pain medication before I had any. Paul and Sue showed me around London and checked up on me to see how I was doing. Mat noticed I was quiet and asked how I was feeling. Look at all the love I am receiving from people I did not know a month ago!

Sure, I have gone through some difficult things, but God is so much greater. And He has used those things to change me. It is my hope that when Mom and Laura come next weekend (so soon, and so exciting!) they will be encouraged by how much God has encouraged me.

If you haven't done so today, I would suggest spending some time in God's Word and praying. It makes a world of difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment