Thursday, June 24, 2010

Sunshine and Green Grass

Today was my weekly day off. As all holidays should, it began with sleeping in. I woke up to the sun shining brilliantly and an unplanned day. One word: bliss.

Don't worry though. I didn't stay at home all day reading a book. No, I went outside and read a book! :) I wandered around my neighborhood for a few minutes with the vague idea of finding a park I knew was close by. With my confused inner compass it is quite amazing that I actually made it to the park in one piece.

Now, when I say park, I'm not sure what images come to your mind. Perhaps you think of a brightly colored plastic playground with slides and swings. Or maybe you think of a baseball and soccer field (excuse me, football field). Well, the park I went to today had both, and more! Crystal Palace Park is field after field of paths, benches, ponds, and ruins. Everywhere you look is green, and on a bright day like this, the park was bustling with adults, children, and dogs.

After grabbing a bite for lunch at a local cafe, I meandered around the park. I decided to sit down on a bench and read a few chapters of a book I recently picked up after walking for quite some time. Reading was interspersed with people and dog watching, praying and pondering. When I got tired of reading, I would get up and follow a different fork in the path, until I came to a new bench or new sight.

I saw a dinosaur made of recycled junk. I saw an ice cream van (so of course I had to get ice cream). I saw and got lost in a maze! I even saw a little waterfall in the park. Time went by so quickly...I didn't even notice my arms turning pink. Yes, I am very unevenly sunburned. Aloe vera will be a very close friend soon.

I spoke with my Mom on the phone, making plans for when she and Laura (my sister) come to visit me. I also got a package from Mom today bearing cookies! Thanks Mom :) I appreciate all the hard work you are doing, and I can hardly wait to see you soon!

Well, I have a frozen pizza in the oven, and I'm starting to smell it, so I should probably go. Plans for tonight? Finish my book, pray a bit more, maybe watch a movie, sleep. I'd say it was a successful day off.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, are you near Crystal Palace? I have heard that name so much in the past week! I think my dad and his siblings may have played there growing up : ) Although, I could be making this up. I will get confirmation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you got to enjoy that lovely park! It looked beautiful & it sounds heavenly as all of England's parks are :) Continuing to pray for your Mom & her back! I know you are getting so excited about her coming! Enjoy your cookies! ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete