Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Something Lost, Something Gained

Chhhh...chhhh...chhhhh............. That was the sound of my train pulling away as I ran onto the platform today. I knew I was leaving later than normal from my flat, but I had too much pride to run all the way to the station. The result? I had to wait 20 minutes for the next train, which was no big deal, except for the fact that it presented 3 wonderful opportunities.

Opportunity 1: As I was rushing around in my flat (getting ready for the day), I had asked God for a little time at the shop to spend with Him. There were many people to pray for--a lot on my heart. Now, I found myself with 20 spare minutes on my hands! I plopped down on the nearest bench and pulled out my journal. "Heavenly Father, thank you so much for this unexpected time with you..."
Result: Giving my burdens to God, receiving peace.

Opportunity 2: Because I missed my first train, I also missed the connection I would have made, so I found myself waiting another 16 minutes at the next station. There is a small coffee/pastry shop at the station, so I decided to go in. I ordered a cappuccino (which I always think of with an Italian accent, thanks to Davide) and left feeling blessed. Though the establishment is not a Christian one, I was served with a smile and jovial spirit. I took the time to look at the napkin and coffee cup, and found their script to be extremely humorous. I sat down on a bench, waiting, and chuckled at my coffee cup--the man sitting next to me seemed rather concerned that he was sitting next to a crazy person, but I didn't mind.
Result: A good laugh, a smile, coffee, energy!

Opportunity 3: On the second train I sat across from a young pregnant woman. She seemed very involved in whatever it was she was reading, so I stayed silent. However, at another stop, another young lady (23-24ish) sat down next to me...only, she turned her back to me (a definite "do not talk to me" posture, for those of you who read body language). I thought about it for a little while and decided to break the "silence" barrier. She was reading hand-written notes about the ionization of radon...
"Studying for an exam?" She looked up, "Oh no," she smiled, "I'm " and she went back to reading. Well, just as you can't see what she said, I didn't hear what she said...she was not studying...what on earth was she doing?
I waited for a few more stops before trying again, "That is a beautiful ring on your finger. Are you engaged?"
Her face lit up, "Why yes! But we aren't getting married for another whole year. We work in the same hospital, which is why I am interviewing at a different one today..."
Ah, an interview. Turns out Amy (which was her name) is a radiologist two years out of school. She was so kind, and we had a lovely talk until we went our separate ways.
Result: New friend, a realization that I can be bold and talk to people on trains (it just isn't done in London!)

So, if I had not missed the train, I would not have had that journaling time, coffee and smile, new friend, or new-found boldness. I'm not saying God desires for me to be late everyday, but I am thankful that He works in unexpected ways.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Lenae! Your blogs bring a smile to my face and heart! I so know about the whole "don't talk to me" thing on the train or any public transport!

    ReplyDelete