Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Thankful

My grandmother on my mother's side had skin cancer.

My uncle has seizures.

My dad has diabetes.

As a little kid I used to stare at the ceiling in the darkness of my room. "I am thinking. I am alive," I used to say to myself, "That means, someday, I won't be. Some day I will die."
At that point I would become so frightened I would jump out of bed and rush to my parents' room.

I grew older and began asking, "Why am I alive? What is my purpose?...Sure, 'to glorify God,' but that is all of humanity's purpose. What is mine?"

Today I cannot tell you that I have completely overcome my fear of the unknown, "death" (though I know what comes after). Neither can I tell you what my purpose is...honestly, I'm hoping this trip to the UK will shed a little light on that topic. BUT, I do know some things.

First, I know that before I existed, God chose me.
He loves me so much that He lived, died, and then lived again.
He pursued me when all I did was run away.
He remained faithful when I was faithless.
He gave me two parents who are godly and love me intensely.
He gave me a younger sister who exceeds me in her passion and pursuit of Him.
He has given me a dedicated mentor who prays for me.
He has given me solid friends, through better and worse.
He has given me health and protection, and so many blessings.

I am overwhelmed by His love.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I have experienced God's great love. I am experiencing it. I am walking with Him right now, and I'm so overwhelmed with His presence that I had to share it. This does not mean my life is perfect--I still mess it up quite often. We live in a sinful world.

But look at our God. Is there any greater? Is there anything He cannot do? Is any problem too difficult for Him to handle?
Has God ever lost his holiness, or put aside His love?
Does God change?

No. He is always faithful.

No comments:

Post a Comment